The Law Office of Michael E. Ripley

Exceeding Expectations

Intersection Bike Accidents (...continued)

Attorney Michael Ripley has the experience and knowhow to handle a variety of bicycle accidents. In advising the firm’s clients, attorney Michael Ripley draws on more than 30 years of experience representing clients in personal injury litigation. He is a seasoned litigator and enjoys the AV rating provided by Martindale-Hubbell.* His previous experience includes working for insurance defense law firms defending cases involving auto drivers, bicycles and motorcycles. He knows the courtroom well. As a result, you will benefit from his experience in representing both sides of a bicycle injury case in any number of situations, including:

  • Hit-and-run accidents, between a car and bicycle
  • Bicyclists hurt because a car door is opened in front of them
  • Injuries resulting from motor vehicle drivers ignoring a bicyclist’s right of way in an intersection
  • Injuries resulting from vehicles veering into a designated bike lane
  • Potholes in the road, causing serious injury
  • Accidents involving side swipes
  • Bicyclists hurt because of left-turning cars
  • Accidents that occur because motorists follow too closely in heavy traffic

Whatever the circumstances, the bicyclist needs to level the playing field with the insurance company by hiring an aggressive attorney who is knowledgeable about bike accidents. The Law Office of Michael E. Ripley provides that type of aggressive representation to its clients. The law firm works with you to maximize your recovery, whether that involves negotiations or whether it involves taking your case to trial.

The Law Office of Michael E. Ripley is located in Carmel Valley one mile by bicycle from Highway 101. Our office on High Bluff Drive in San Diego, California, is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Evening and weekend appointments can be made by appointment. Spanish-speaking services are available. To schedule a free initial consultation, call 858-792-1300

The two-way stop. The four-way stop. The uncontrolled intersection. The stoplight intersection. Regardless of what kind of intersection you may be riding through, your rights as a cyclist matter in California. Just as a driver or a pedestrian is protected by the law, so are you as a biker. The rules of the road apply to both motor vehicles and bicycles alike.

Roadway Design and Visibility

Roadway design can further complicate the already complicated situations at intersections. If not well designed, visibility problems can make intersections uniquely dangerous, even resulting in a fatal bike accident. If a bicyclist should be injured at such a poorly designed intersection, liability for the problem may rest with the property owner or with the government entity. Perhaps the property owner failed to maintain the foliage that obscured visibility or covered the stop sign, for instance. The government entity may be liable for the poor roadway design that caused the accident.

Encinitas Intersection Bicycle Accident Lawyer

When it comes to intersection bicycle accidents, an insurance company knows what it is doing. It hires teams of lawyers to protect the insurance company’s interests. The normal person does not. So you need to talk to your own attorney before talking to the lawyer representing the insurance company.

People injured in a bike accident sometimes make the mistake of thinking that the insurance lawyer is their own lawyer. This is not the case. The insurance company’s lawyer is just that: the lawyer for the insurance company. If your interests and the interests of your insurance company do not match, then that lawyer works to protect the interests of the insurance company, not you.

Statute of Limitations in Bicycle Accident Cases

The term Statute of Limitations refers to the amount of time a person has to sue for their injury. In California, the Statute of Limitations, generally, is two years from the date of the accident. This means that if a personal injury claim cannot be resolved without a lawsuit, the lawsuit must be filed within two years of the date of the accident. Otherwise, the opportunity for a recovery is lost altogether.

If a claim or lawsuit is against a public entity (such as a City, the State of California, or a School District), there must be filed a governmental entity claim within six months of the date of the accident. As with the Statute of Limitations discussed above, if such a claim is not filed within six months, it means that the possibility of making a recovery against a governmental entity will be lost.

*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.

Personal Injury FAQs

If I call your office, will I be able to talk to an experienced personal injury attorney?

Answer = Yes you will.  Michael E. Ripley gives individual attention to each client, and to each prospective client.

What if I cannot make it to your office to speak with you?

Answer = In some instances, we can work together by way of telephone or email.  In other instances, such as if a client is disabled or in the hospital, the attorney will come to the client.

Should I call if I am not sure whether I need a lawyer, or if I may be able to handle the matter on my own?

Answer = You can call for a free consultation.  If you attempt to handle your personal injury matter on your own, you will be dealing with an insurance adjuster that handles these sorts of claims for a living, and that has experience handling the claims, and who has a goal of settling claims for as little as possible.

Can I get medical treatment if I do not have medical insurance?

Answer = Yes you can.  The law office may be able to refer you to doctors who will provide treatment without insurance, who will then be paid from the recovery from your claim or lawsuit.

How long will it take to settle my personal injury case?

Answer = There is no one answer for this.  Every case is different.  Many cases can be settled by way of negotiating them, without filing a lawsuit.  If a lawsuit is filed, it generally will get a trial date one year after it is filed.  However, over 95% of all civil cases settle without going to trial, or somewhere along the line.

Will my personal injury case take up very much of my time?

Answer = No, it will not.  If the matter can be resolved without filing a lawsuit, you will not have to attend any meetings or court hearings.  If a lawsuit is filed, it may happen that your deposition will be taken, which is a 2-4 hour process.  Otherwise, you may have to attend one or two hearings or meetings, unless the matter goes to trial.  As indicated above, over 95% of all cases settle without going to trial.

Will I have to pay for such things as court filing fees, court costs, or expert witnesses, if there is a lawsuit?

Answer = No.  The Law Office of Michael E. Ripley will advance payment for costs, so that you do not have to pay for them out of pocket.

Is there anything I can do if the other driver was uninsured?

Answer = Yes you can.  So long as you have automobile insurance, your insurance will include coverage for uninsured motorists.  That way, a claim can be made against your own insurance if the other driver did not have any insurance.

How will the lawyer be paid for his work?

Answer = Lawyers handle personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis.  This means that the lawyer only is paid if there is a recovery.  The lawyer’s fees are a percentage of the recovery, so that the majority of the recovery goes to the injured party.

How soon after an accident should I call an attorney?

Answer = As quickly as possible.  There is investigation to do, and evidence to be preserved, and witnesses to be contacted.  It is also important to take photographs of the accident scene and the vehicles involved, as quickly as possible.  This sort of evidence may be lost if you do not act quickly.

Why should I hire the Law Office of Michael E. Ripley?

Answer = Mr. Ripley is an experienced personal injury lawyer.  He has been handling personal injury cases for over 30 years.  He has been to trial, mediation, and arbitration in a wide variety of personal injury cases.  He knows what he is doing, and he knows how to get the job done.

Contact Us

The Law Office of

Michael E. Ripley

Main Office - General Law

12520 High Bluff Drive

Suite 110 (First Floor)

San Diego, CA  92130

Phone (858) 792-1300

Fax (858) 793-1235


Contact Request

Office Hours


 Monday through Friday

8:30am to 5pm

Pacific Standard Time

Find Us

You are Here - Website Location

Member Login

Who's Online

We have 91 guests and no members online